10 Benefits Of A Good Mother-Son Relationship
Updated: Apr 15
Mothers are supposed to be their sons’ best friends. A mother’s love helps her son to be emotionally stronger, psychologically happier, and mentally more intelligent. A good mother-son relationship ensures a son's mental health and inner security. A mother's over-nurturing love might increase a son's dependent nature. Still, in the long run, the safety and protection from a loving mother can give her son more courage and security to explore the world without holding back or worrying about failure.
I am a mother, and I have a son. I understand how challenging it is to define the best ways of raising a son. Many family relationship experts warn that mothers that are over-protective and extra-nurturing could be barriers for the boys to become firm, appreciative, and independent. I have different views about the mother-son bond because my experience as a mother has proved that trying to separate the mother-son ties prematurely does not create a super-independent man. A son with his mother's full support and unconditional encouragement will grow up as a confident, assertive, and caring man with high self-esteem. Men who know what women want and how women think are typically the ones who grew up with respectful, responsible, generous, and caring mothers. Men with good mother-son relationships are more attractive to other women because they tend to be more patient, open, cheerful, and loving to their ladies.
A mothers behavior affects their boys’ personalities, values, traits, and attitudes. Men with bad and resentful relationships with their mothers seldom become successful in their career and life. They would not become team players in the workplace if they could not appreciate their mothers who gave birth to them. The selfish styles will stop them from finding the right partners or friends in business or life. Men with a strong connection with their mothers have more chance to fulfill their life purpose because their mothers have been teaching them communications skills, emotional intelligence, accountable personalities, and social wisdom.
There are ten benefits of a good mother-son relationship:
1. Boys with a mother's loving presence and extensive care will grow up naturally without cognitive and behavioral issues or problems during their adult years. Young boys with loose bonds with their mothers tend to behave aggressively, angry, and hostile.
2. Mothers' loving hugs are boys' safe houses throughout their lives, not just the infant years. Boys want to be close to their mothers more than girls because only mothers make them feel safe and secure. Boys who chose to seek freedom from their mothers at early years feel lonelier and more isolated with literally no close friends in their adult lives.
3. Boys pushed away intentionally and emotionally by their mothers during adolescence and their growing up years are more sensitive and vulnerable with less confidence and self-esteem. Trying to train the boys to become 'true men' by separating the mother and son bond at early ages does more to damage their lives than to benefit.
4. The boys will absorb the proper manners, self-respect, and self-acceptance from their mothers without actual teaching if they secure a loving home environment. A close mother-son relationship constructs a creative atmosphere for the boys to develop language skills, personal traits, and broader views to see the world.
5. A compassionate mother encourages her son to deal with challenges with courage and confidence. Mothers with emotional consciousness and listening skills can guide their boys to be more open-minded and non-judgmental in the real world.
6. Boys close to their mothers do better in school because a mothers' nurturing intelligence and coaching enhance their reading speed and thinking skills. A close mother-son relationship helps the boys to communicate and with their self-control. A mother's bedtime story also plays a crucial role in a boy’s expressive and presenting skills.
7. A mother who knows when to step back and when to be supportive is the most critical factor to develop a boy’s self-esteem, independence, self-awareness, personal values, and social responsibilities. Allowing the boys to learn and grow through their own experiences and drawbacks after high school can eliminate the mother-son conflicts, internal struggles, and misunderstandings.
8. Boys with a close bond with mothers typically stay away from risky activities, violence, criminal events, and wild lifestyles. Mothers should encourage sons to discuss issues or problems openly and freely. Mothers who are close to their sons would reduce the harmful influence of their classmates or peers. Boys that are close to their mothers are less likely to be addicted to alcohol, drugs, or random sex.
9. Boys with a good mother-son relationship have more close friends and good relationships with women. Mothers determine the boys’ mental health. Boys growing up with resentment or hate for their mothers are more likely to feel anxious and angry. Those boys with unsolved issues with their mothers find it almost impossible to live a life with happiness and success.
10. Their mother is a boy’s torch to light up the new world after birth, the compass to guide his journey in his life, the nutrition needed to nurture his physical health, the map to point the future direction, and finally, the most reliable friend for his entire life. A mother would never give up her son under any circumstances, but a son could walk away from his mother.